Tuesday 8 October 2013

Thai-inspired chicken and prawn cake

Look at my pretty speckled pan... isn't it lovely! Will rave about this later! 

I know, it sounds weird. And a little disgusting. But rest assured... it was delicious!!

For my Malaysian feast on the weekend, I bought some prawns for a noodle stir fry, but I didn't use it all. And they were on the verge of going bad in the fridge. Which reminds me of that story of the woman whose husband cheated on her... (have you heard this one?) but I digress.

So I've been planning on mincing my own meat for a while, and what better time to experiment than now. Popped some chicken thigh fillets into the food processor with the prawns together with some soy sauce and fish sauce. I thought about putting in some cornflour following what my mother used to do... but I thought better of it.

But surely to make it more "Thai", it would need more than that? I went through my pantry and found a packet of red curry paste. And green curry paste, and come Malaysian vegetarian curry paste... and hold on a second... some Malaysian chicken curry paste AND some jarred butter chicken from Pataks. What the hell am I doing with so many different curry pastes? Oh well, better start using them! Grabbed a packet of the red curry past and put half of the packet into the mixture and ground well. And... may have put some cornflour after all!

I was pretty happy with the end-product, but in the future, I might have used a touch of sugar and maybe some acid. And what is annoying is that I have both kaffir lime leaves and fresh limes in my fridge! Oh well, there is always a next time! I have included that hit of acid in my recipe below... enjoy!



Thai Prawn and Chicken cakes
 
Makes about 6 little patties
Calories per patty: Approx 58 calories


  • 250 grams of chicken thigh fillets (thereabouts)
  • 100 grams of prawns
  • 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
  • a couple of dashes of fish sauce
  • a teaspoon of sugar
  • a couple of kaffir lime leaves, cut finely
  • half a packet of Mae Ploy red curry paste (approximately 25 grams)
  • 1.5 teaspoons of cornflour

Put all the ingredients into a food processor and grind until all ingredients are mixed together.
Wet your hands and shape the mixture into little patties.
Pan-fry until cooked through.

(This was quite healthy for me as I have a wonderful non-stick pan, so I pan fried it without any oil... of course I will be raving about my pan another day!)

I would serve it with a simple salad of iceberg lettuce (I really love iceberg lettuce), and cucumbers (don't even GET me started on cucumbers... I just love them, they are ridunkulous). I don't think it really needs a dressing, but if you are so inclined, this dressing  I found at Closet Cooking looks delicious and I think it would be perfect for the salad! 

Enjoy! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment